Traditional Scouting plays nicely with the BSA’s newest summer camp offerings at Onteora Scout Reservation. Located in the Catskill Mountains, about 125 miles northwest of New York City, Onteora Scout Reservation (OSR) has the technology-infused activities today’s Scouts crave.
That means Scouts can try welding, 3-D printing and game design without giving up old-school faves like canoeing, horseback riding and rock climbing. Here’s what else keeps Scouts coming back to OSR summer after summer for more than 60 years.
- A new STEM (science, technology, engineering and math) pavilion that offers seven merit badges: Animation, Composite Materials, Digital Technology, Engineering, Game Design, Inventing and Robotics.
- Wild West fun, with lassoing demonstrations, horseshoe-throwing competitions and plenty of choice cowboy cuisine. Yeehaw!
- A trades-focused area where Boy Scouts 14 and up can earn merit badges in Plumbing, Farm Mechanics, Home Repair, Painting, Automotive Maintenance and more.
- Nighttime outposts, beginning at 9 p.m., for Scouts to complete requirements that call for darkness, including those for the Astronomy and Wilderness Survival merit badges.
- The Glaize, named after an 18th-century community of American Indians from multiple tribes. At OSR, the Glaize lets Scouts experience blacksmithing, ironworking, archaeology and more.
Learn more and plan your visit at trcbsa.org.
Scouting Magazine’s Cool Camps Series
Not all Boy Scout camps are created equal. Sure, each offers a terrific program to entertain and challenge Scouts, but every Scout camp has unique program elements that make it special. Scoutingmagazine has scoured the country to find some of the coolest Scout camps around. Check out the full list, and be sure to leave a comment if you’ve visited one of these Cool Camps.
Looking for a Scout Camp Near You?
Download the free Camp Scout by Boys’ Life app for iPhone to simplify your search. The free app lets you scour nearby BSA properties for activity-specific amenities, camping availability and much more. Check it out!
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today