Golden Dutch-Oven Cornbread
Serves about 12
4-5 Tbsp. canola oil
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups whole milk
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
4 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- Pour canola oil into Dutch oven.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees by placing 21 hot charcoals on lid and 10 in a circle beneath the oven.
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and buttermilk.
- Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour egg mixture into the well. Gently fold the egg mixture into the dry ingredients with as few strokes as possible.
- Add butter. (It’s OK if there are clumps of dry ingredients. The goal is to not over work the batter.)
- Pour batter into the preheated oven. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and slightly cracked. Edges should also be pulling away from the sides of the oven. Remove from coals.
- Using heat-resistant mitts, turn oven over to serve the cornbread on the lid.
Special thanks to Leslie and Steve Lovett of texasironchef.com
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today