Golden Dutch-Oven Cornbread
Serves about 12
4-5 Tbsp. canola oil
2 cups cornmeal
2 cups all-purpose flour
¼ cup sugar
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
4 tsp. baking powder
4 large eggs
1 1/3 cups whole milk
1 1/3 cups buttermilk
4 Tbsp. butter, melted and cooled
- Pour canola oil into Dutch oven.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees by placing 21 hot charcoals on lid and 10 in a circle beneath the oven.
- In a large bowl, mix together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, salt and baking powder.
- In another bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and buttermilk.
- Create a well in the middle of the dry ingredients. Pour egg mixture into the well. Gently fold the egg mixture into the dry ingredients with as few strokes as possible.
- Add butter. (It’s OK if there are clumps of dry ingredients. The goal is to not over work the batter.)
- Pour batter into the preheated oven. Bake for about 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown and slightly cracked. Edges should also be pulling away from the sides of the oven. Remove from coals.
- Using heat-resistant mitts, turn oven over to serve the cornbread on the lid.
Special thanks to Leslie and Steve Lovett of texasironchef.com