Horsing around is encouraged at Camp Cedars, located on the south bank of the Platte River near Fremont, Neb. Scouts can saddle up for daily trail rides, an equestrian obstacle course or a bout of medieval jousting where — thankfully — they aim at stationary targets and not other riders. By the time the week is done, Scouts will know how to ride, jump and lasso like true cowboys. Oh, and did we mention horse soccer? It’s exactly what you’d imagine it to be — and just as fun!
Cedars, celebrating its 75th anniversary this year, offers more than just an incredible equine program, though. Other highlights include:
- Two all-terrain vehicle (ATV) classes: one for beginners and one for experienced riders.
- Rifle shooting and shotgun shooting, where Scouts learn from trained instructors.
- The Kit Fox program for first-year campers, covering many of the requirements from Tenderfoot to First Class.
- A new, streamlined check-in process for troops so you spend less time waiting and more time enjoying camp.
- Training opportunities for adults who want to maximize their week at Cedars.
- A stand-up paddleboarding experience for Scouts who can swim.
- A chance to document all this fun at Camp Cedars with a GoPro camera available for rent. Troops that don’t own a GoPro can use one for the day and capture the first-person view to share with parents and Scouts who stayed home. Daily rental is $50.
Ready to plan a visit to this great council camp? Learn more at mac-bsa.org and click on “Camping.”
Scouting Magazine’s Cool Camps Series
Not all Boy Scout camps are created equal. Sure, each offers a terrific program to entertain and challenge Scouts, but every Scout camp has unique program elements that make it special. Scouting magazine has scoured the country to find some of the coolest Scout camps around. Check out the full list, and be sure to leave a comment if you’ve visited one of these Cool Camps.
Looking for a Scout Camp Near You?
Download the free Camp Scout by Boys’ Life app for iPhone to simplify your search. The free app lets you scour nearby BSA properties for activity-specific amenities, camping availability and much more. Check it out!