Horsepower is maximized at Ransburg Scout Reservation in the rolling hills of southern Indiana. Whether wakeboarding behind a boat with 200 horsepower or riding a horse with one, Scouts are in for an incredible week at one of the most beautiful camps in Scouting.
Ransburg sits on 624 acres and is surrounded by the Hoosier National Forest, an area first occupied by humans when American Indians hunted there 12,000 years ago.
But Ransburg is more than just a pretty place. Here’s what draws Scouts year after year:
- The Ransburg Wrangler Program, where Scouts climb aboard a steed for one-time trail rides or come back throughout the week to earn Animal Science, Veterinary Medicine or Horsemanship merit badges.
- A new STEM Center (that’s science, technology, engineering and math) with a wacky program they call “Mad Science.”
- A popular aquatics center on Lake Monroe, one of Indiana’s largest lakes. Here Scouts can do it all: paddleboard, sail, swim, canoe, kayak, water-ski and wakeboard.
- Workerships for Scouts who are interested in spending a week at Ransburg but can’t afford the fee. Ransburg lets in-council participants perform a “Good Turn” project in exchange for half of the camp fee.
- A Firecrafter camp rank system unique to the Crossroads of America Council that motivates Scouts to come back year after year.
Adults, you’ll enjoy the chance to hone your Scouting skills by getting trained in aquatics, merit badge counseling, paddle craft, Leave No Trace and more. And you can test your culinary skills in a rousing Dutch oven bake-off.
Plan a visit at ransburgbsa.org.
Scouting Magazine’s Cool Camps Series
Not all Boy Scout camps are created equal. Sure, each offers a terrific program to entertain and challenge Scouts, but every Scout camp has unique program elements that make it special. Scoutingmagazine has scoured the country to find some of the coolest Scout camps around. Check out the full list, and be sure to leave a comment if you’ve visited one of these Cool Camps.
Looking for a Scout Camp Near You?
Download the free Camp Scout by Boys’ Life app for iPhone to simplify your search. The free app lets you scour nearby BSA properties for activity-specific amenities, camping availability and much more. Check it out!