Chocolatey Chocolate Chip Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting, by Andrea Kippes
Judges’ Comments: Yes, there are campers who have physically survived a weekend or two without chocolate. But let’s be honest: the quality of the experience was surely tarnished. Fortunately, there’s no need for you to suffer! Andrea Kippes has made it easy to experience the euphoria of a rich, chocolaty treat. The “icing on the cake” is that it’s also a lot of fun to decorate!
What you’ll need:
- 1 (15.25-ounce) package devil’s food cake mix
- 1 (3.4-ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
- 1 cup sour cream
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 cups mini chocolate chips (reserve some for sprinkling on finished cake, if desired)
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup (1/2 standard stick) butter, softened
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
1. Light and heat 25 briquettes.
2. While coals are heating, combine cake mix, instant pudding mix, sour cream, eggs, water and oil in a large bowl.
3. Mix ingredients well then stir in chocolate chips, reserving some, if desired, for topping.
4. Pour cake batter into a parchment-lined 12-inch camp Dutch oven. Cover with lid.
5. Set eight coals underneath the oven and 17 coals on lid.
6. Bake, rotating lid and oven a quarter-turn in opposite directions every 10 to 15 minutes.
7. At 35 minutes, check doneness by touching cake surface. Once ready, cake will bounce back gently. A skewer or knife inserted should come out clean, with no batter adhering.
8. Meanwhile, prepare frosting by beating cream cheese and butter together until fully mixed and fluffy.
9. Add vanilla extract to cream cheese blend. Gradually stir in powdered sugar until thick.
10. Transfer frosting to a quart-sized ziplock freezer bag.
Once cake is ready, cut corner from bag and squeeze frosting over cake in a pattern or smooth it over the surface with a knife. Sprinkle with any reserved chocolate chips.
Inspire Leadership, Foster Values: Donate to Scouting
When you give to Scouting, you are making it possible for young people to have extraordinary opportunities that will allow them to embrace their true potential and become the remarkable individuals they are destined to be.Donate Today