Scouting Magazine Master Chef Contest Savory First Runner-Up
Dutch-Oven Reuben, by Emily Dresslar
Judges’ Comments: Ever have a hankering for a Reuben sandwich at camp, but, alas, your favorite deli is miles away? Of course you have. But don’t break camp early! Emily Dresslar’s clever and easy Dutch oven adaption will impress even the most experienced outdoor chefs while satisfying that hankering.
What you’ll need:
- 2 pounds deli sliced corned beef, cut into strips
- 1 (16-ounce) can sauerkraut, drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3/4 cup Thousand Island salad dressing
- 8 slices rye bread, cubed
What you’ll do:
- Light and heat 25 briquettes.
- Coat the inside of a 12-inch Dutch Oven with cooking spray.
- In the oven, evenly layer half of all ingredients in the following order: corned beef, sauerkraut, cheese, dressing and bread cubes.
- Repeat Step 3 with the remaining ingredients. Cover oven with lid.
- Place 17 coals on lid and eight coals underneath the oven.
- Bake for 35 minutes.
Find even more Dutch oven recipes at scoutingmagazine.org/dutchoven.
About the judges: Tim and Christine Conners are proud parents of two Scouts and authors of several camping cookbooks. Find their books at local Scout shops or at booksbyconners.com.
I am curious, how many does this serve?