About our cover:
Troop 5 assistant Scoutmaster Dan Peterson and his son Bryce of Maplewood, N.J., take a 13-foot Hobie Cat for a sail on Cinnamon Bay in St. John, U.S. Virgin Islands. For the complete story, click here to read managing editor Scott Daniel's "St. John the Divine."
Cover photograph by Vince Heptig.
In the September - October 2009 Issue
- St. John the Divine
- Troop 5 of Maplewood, N.J., flies to a Caribbean paradise to camp, hike, and snorkel near some of the most beautiful beaches this side of heaven.
- Let's Celebrate!
- Volunteers and professionals gather at the BSA's annual national meeting in Orlando, Fla., to recognize outstanding achievements and put the finishing touches on a yearlong centennial celebration.
- Fat Chance
- People who recite the Boy Scout Oath promise to keep themselves "physically strong." That goes for adult leaders as well as youth. Find out how you and your Scouts can become fitter and faster -- and not miss out on Scouting's greatest adventures.
- Going by the Book
- The 12th edition of the venerable Boy Scout Handbook promises fun and adventure while delivering lifelong lessons. And in a nod to all things digital, the new volume boasts a companion Web site with loads of electronic resources.
- Gourd to the Last Drop
- Smashing pumpkins and physics? Cub Scouts learn about both as they fine-tune homemade catapults and trebuchets to see which team can hurl the orange fruit the farthest.
- From the CSE Bob Mazzuca expresses concern about young people's health and the growing problem of youth obesity. Volunteer leaders, he says, can set the example to lead healthy, productive lives.
- Editor's Welcome