THREE RIVERS MUDDY DELIGHT CAKE
1 box Jiffy Devil’s Food Cake Mix
¼ cup baking cocoa
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups hot water
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 teaspoon coconut extract
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup coconut flakes
8 ounces Cool Whip
1. Preheat large Dutch oven. Mix the box of Jiffy Devil Cake per instructions and set aside.
2. Select a disposable aluminum cake pan, and pinch the edges of the pan to ease removal of the finished cake from oven.
3. Pour prepared batter into the cake pan and place in Dutch oven. Mix “mud” ingredients—baking cocoa, brown sugar, hot water, vanilla, and coconut extract—in a separate bowl and pour over batter.
4. Bake for 30 minutes using 12 coals on top of Dutch oven and 8 coals underneath.
5. Remove lid and sprinkle cake with chocolate chips. Replace the lid and wait 3 minutes for chocolate chips to melt. Spread evenly and sprinkle with coconut flakes.
6. Serve warm with a dollop of Cool Whip and cherries on top.
Recipe by David J. Barber, Troop 122 assistant Scoutmaster, Shasta Lake, Calif. David took first place in the dessert division of the Scouting magazine 2009 “Great Tastes in Camp Cooking” contest. Photograph by Pat Haverfield; styling by Trace Hayes.