Lemon-Lime Soda Apple Dumplings
2 large Granny Smith apples
1 12-ounce can of lemon-lime soda
2 8-ounce cans of refrigerated crescent rolls
1 stick real butter
1 cup sugar
1 tablespoon cinnamon
1. Use a Dutch oven large enough to accommodate all apples in one layer because they’ll rise/expand when cooking.
2. Cut each apple into eight pieces. Wrap each piece in one crescent roll.
3. Melt stick of butter in the bottom of the Dutch oven and roll each piece in the melted butter before placing them in the bottom of the pan.
4. Mix cinnamon and sugar and sprinkle the mixture over all apple pieces (mixing the sugar rather than just dusting the tops better incorporates the cinnamon flavor). Carefully add the soda so as not to wash away sugar from the dumplings.
5. Based on oven size, adjust the amount of briquettes on top and bottom and bake until dumplings turn golden brown (in conventional oven about 30 minutes at 350 degrees).
Recipe by Martin A. Pessink of Pittsburg, Tex, who won the grand prize in the Scouting magazine 2009 “Great Tastes in Camp Cooking” contest. Photograph by Pat Haverfield; styling by Trace Hayes.