Broad Creek Memorial Scout Reservation
Baltimore Area Council
Photograph by Walter P. Calahan
Looking to make a big splash with your older Scouts? Send them to Lost Pines, where the big splashes never end. Lost Pines, the high-adventure arm of Broad Creek Memorial Scout Reservation, boasts an impressive waterfront that includes a one-of-a-kind kayak waterslide and much more. It keeps veteran summer campers coming back year after year. Here’s what they offer:
- Older boys attending summer camp at Broad Creek get the best of both worlds: They can enjoy full- or half-day activities at Lost Pines while still eating and camping with the rest of their troop.
- A popular activity is the waterfront’s signature kayak waterslide, a man-made thrill ride that sends campers gliding into the 17-acre rock quarry lake below.
- For an additional fee, campers can earn the new Scuba Diving merit badge, which is taught by certified instructors right at the waterfront. It’s one of 55 merit badges available each summer at Broad Creek.
- If they aren’t ready to try scuba, boys can head to a dedicated snorkel area to view a simulated shipwreck.
- Other highlights include zip lines, a sandy beach with real palm trees, and a 30-foot outdoor screen for movies.
Top of Page
May - June 2010 Table of Contents