About our cover:
That leering face looks like Jack Nicholoson's character in The Shining, right? But don't be alarmed. It's merely kids' author Jon Scieszka's tongue-in-cheek way of displaying his intense belief that you can get your reluctant-reader boys to crack a book for fun. How? Writer Mary Jacobs tells all in her interviews with Scieszka and other authorities.
Cover photograph by Marc and Melanie Chartrand.
In the September 2008 Issue
- Design of the Times
- New fabric, new colors, new functions -- get moving in the BSA's redesigned high-performance uniform.
- Meet the Parents
- Cub Scouts at the Daniel Boone Council's Spring Fling encounter BBs, owl pellets, and lots of moms and dads they didn't know they had.
- A Salute to Our Volunteers
- The BSA honors its past while planning for the future during its national annual meeting in San Diego.
- Guys Read Guy Books
- What's the secret to boys and reading? Give them books about things they like: adventure, biography, science fiction, sports, and yes, even gross humor.
- Leading the Way
- A salute to some of America's top CEOs, who learned the value of service to others in Scouting and carried on that tradition when they hit the top of their game.