“Decadent and delicious!”
Servings: 7 to 8
Preparation Time: 45 minutes
Challenge Level: Moderate
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 loaf “Texas toast” style bread
Vegetable oil for frying
1 (12-ounce) jar apricot preserves
1/2 cup orange juice
Small mixing bowl
Medium-size mixing bowl
Medium-size frying pan
Small cook pot
Preparation at Camp:
1. Beat together cream cheese and 1 teaspoon vanilla extract in a small bowl then stir in the walnuts.
2. In a medium-size bowl, mix together eggs, heavy cream, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and ground nutmeg.
3. Spread a heaping tablespoon of cream cheese mixture between two slices of bread. Close like a sandwich. Repeat until either all the bread or all the cream cheese mixture is used up.
4. Warm oil in frying pan over medium heat.
5. Dip each of the “sandwiches” into the egg mixture to fully coat then fry on both sides until golden brown. Don’t crowd the pan. Cook in batches instead.
6. While French toast is frying, warm preserves and orange juice in a small pot over low heat.
7. Once all the toast is finished cooking, drizzle the warm preserve mixture over the slices before serving.